Almonds: Protein, Poison, and Organized Crime
The 12,000 year-old Almond: Packs Protein and Organized Crime
I created the Nut-Nola recipe back in 2014, and researched the value and taste of all possible ingredients. It was quite a process!
I chose to include almonds in the recipe because of its high (6 grams) of protein, sweet taste, crunchiness, and remarkable nutrients. I researched a long list of possible ingredients with a criteria in mind — one of which was on the top of the list was…taste. If no one likes the taste then why make any recipe, right?
We don’t have to rely on bottled supplements for our supplemental nutrition. The density of nutrition can come from many real, earth-grown foods like nuts and seeds. Foods from the earth, minimally processed, are foods our bodies can recognize, digest, and assimilate into our biosystems. When I was a little girl my dad used to say…’the broccoli you are eating will turn into Stephanie’ and I would be amazed! This declaration given to me by my father as a young girl, is ultimately a truth. That truth is…What you eat supplies your body with fuel and nutrients to build more muscle, burn energy, repair and regenerate your cells.
Fast, fun, almond facts:
- Almond farming dates back 12,000 years ago. Almonds were also found in King Tut’s tomb from 1324 BC.
- The Romans figured out how to take the bitterness and toxins out of the almond by inserting a pine tree plug into the almond tree’s trunk.
- These early almond tree’s bitterness and poison was a result of a chemical reaction forms from an amino acid, phenylalanine. A biochemical process occurs from this amino acid that creates the prunasin molecule. Then cyanide is formed from the resulting chemical–amygdalyn–and where the almond got its name — Prunus Amygdalus. This biochemical was the almond tree’s defense and ensured its future.
- Farmers and botonists developed a mutant strain we enjoy today–a sweet (non-toxic) almond.
- Almond, like the cashew, is a drupe.
- One serving is the size of a sticky note and has 6 grams/oz. of protein. That is 4th in line from hemp seeds 9 grams/oz., pumpkin seeds 8.5 grams/oz., peanuts 6.9 grams/oz. (not really a nut but a legume). All, with the exception of peanuts, are in Nut-Nola and/or Seed-Nola.
- Almond skin contain probiotic compounds for a healthy gut flora.
- Maintain strong bones and teeth with organic sources of magnesium, calcium, and phosphorus contained in almonds.
- Control cravings for maintaining a healthy body composition with the good fats and fibers in crunchy almonds that help to satiate and satisfy your appetite.
- Nut farms have been victim to organized crime. From 2012 to 2015 30 cargo loads were stolen with an estimated value of $10 million.
Push Ups Lessons
Home Workout with Pillowcase
Wearing a mask and exercising: How to Balance the Best of Both
An article titled, “HOW DOES RUNNING WITH A MASK AFFECT YOUR PERFORMANCE?,” came into my stream of emails. It wasn’t the first article of its kind I have read either. It gave me pause to think though, because, I have noticed how I am walking with a mask vs. walking with no mask.
In January I walked everyday, no matter what the weather or circumstances. It was a personal challenge. So I acquired a good baseline for my breathing during a walk without a mask over 31 days.
When I wear a mask to go up a set of stairs in a parking garage or office building there is a real difference in my breathing. It is more work to breath. Makes sense though since my nose and mouth are restricted with layers of cloth covering the only means of getting air. So I have some helpful takeaways from articles I read recently. A way to keep my risk of getting a virus low while getting in a good workout or walk.
Doing cardio with a mask causes the rebreathing of carbon dioxide. This is not a healthy longterm way of exercising.
Option to cardio with a mask? Go outside and get in that cardio workout with an added bonus of the immune boosting vitamin D your body get being in natural light.
If at the gym with a mask choose strength training mostly and keep shorter workout timeframes.
Option to strength training at the gym? Bring it home with so many home workout videos (including those on the Power & Balance Fitness website as well as my YouTube channel) found everywhere on the world wide web — you cannot miss. Need a trainer at home? Sign up with me today and we will use the simplest equipment for awesome workout sessions.
We have to wear a mask for the unforeseen future. This means we have to adapt a healthy lifestyle according to using a mask. If not the mask can manifest new unhealthy illness and ailments. When you inhale too much carbon dioxide it can cause higher acidity in your blood. This higher level of carbon dioxide can affect your metabolic systems, brain, cardiovascular, nervous system stress. This is a debated concern, however, I know my body performs differently with a mask during exercise than without. We are very early in this new way of staying safe among our fellow citizens so there is conflicting information out there.
I know that we were not designed with layers of cloth covering our only means to get needed air therefore, we need to accommodate accordingly to how we feel and stay safe at the same time.
Stay safe and exercise daily!
Born Tough Clothing Update:
As I write this blog I am wearing a pair of Born Tough BOTTOMS. I really like the hip pocket and the easy-to-move fabric. They call it a signature blend fabric and I can feel why because it moves and breathes like a second skin. Definitely a good pair for outside and inside workouts of all levels intensity! They have some cool stitching detail and a drawstring too. Thanks Born Tough for sending over this pair soon to be my new go-to workout pants! I will post photos of my runway walks with them on next blog!
Wait for it! The photos of a home workout gym will be the March blog! This was a short month 😁
Meanwhile checkout my workout videos inside this room converted into a home gym!
Don’t forget to check out our new AFFILIATES page!
PLUS! TRY MAKING NUT-NOLA SNACK CAKES! GET IN SOME YUMMY ALMONDS! Free download of this recipe!
Next month’s blog line up:
Home gym – converted from a bedroom (promise)
Deep Dive into Pumpkin Seeds